Sunday, January 4, 2009

Most Fabulous Find!

Yesterday, I had to take a load of things I no longer wanted to the Salvation army. After I dropped off my load. I convinced hubby to pull around and go inside to look for treasures. I spotted this most marvelous train case. There was no price on it, but I grabbed it anyway and looked around some more. It was absolutely filthy! With dirt caked on the handles and the sides.
I opened it up and the tray was still in there and also in the bottom of the case was the original key to the locks! I took it up to the checkout and asked the price. It cost a whopping $1.99!!!!!!!! I was so excited, I could not believe what a fantastic find. Now I am sure you are wondering what the heck I am going to do with a 1940's Samsonite train case. Welllllll...........


This is one that I worked on last year. I found this train case at Round Top flea market and paid about $25.00 for it. I covered it with scrapbook paper, embellished it with an old brooch, some chipboard letters and labels. Painted it all over with modpodge and I think it turned out wonderful. My daughters loved it, so I will make this one for a gift. I had been looking for train cases on eBay, but they are quite pricey. Especially after the cost of shipping. I find old suitcases all of the time but never the train case. I tried to clean it with Windex, Lysol and lots of elbow grease and couldn't get the grime off of it. So, I found a magic eraser in my kitchen cabinet and it took the dirt right off! I love those things. If you have never used one, you must buy some right away. They will clean soap scum, dirt and fingerprints that nothing else will touch.


I attached the brooch with super glue.


My initials have changed, but it will still work for me.




I just love it. I am so excited that the new case has a key and the locks actually work. I have to get some scrapbook paper and I will set to work on the new one soon.
Have a great day! I am making homemade rolls today. Cooking a roast and potatoes. No kids today, so maybe we will have some leftovers for tonight!
Have a Blessed Sunday!
Lorri




10 comments:

Thrifty Cents said...

Ooooh! I love vintage train cases! I have an aqua one that i use a lot. I also bought one for $2 once that I actually SPRAY PAINTED aqua and then I added tons of ribbons to the handles to match. So cute! Love to look at your finds!

2 Dogs said...

Very clever and so pretty. Your daughter will love it

Gone said...

That train case...what a bargain!!! It looks VERY MUCH like the one my Grandma used to have, down to the tray and key!!!

Oh, what you did to that first lovely train case!!! It's so pretty!!!

^..^Corgidogmama said...

What a fantastic find at Salvation Army! Your embellished case is to die for...just lovely! You are one little clever pie cottager!

Sylvia said...

I love those vintage cases, I have one but not as nice as yours. I use mine all the time in my little vignettes around the house.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

What a great buy! Your other one is so adorable, I can't wait to see what you do with this one.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Ooooh what a fantastic find!!! The one you altered is so cute!

Manuela

FeeBeeKay said...

Thinking of you, dear Lorri! Hope all is going ok and you are well. Sending you lots of positive vibes and keeping you in our prayers.

FeeBeeKay

Barbara Jean said...

I have two of those cases I just picked up at sales last summer
for a couple of dollars each!
I had no idea they were called train cases.
I just called them overnight cases.
Well, I was going to paint on mine and put them in the store (just opened it in May). Guess you know I loooove what you did with yours. Hope you don't mind if I make one similar. ;0) If not, I'll add it to my long list of projects.

Love you blog. I'll be back.

blessings,
Barbara Jean

Philippe Rissetto said...

Bonjour,

Je vous remercie pour votre lien vers A Heart in Provence, j'en suis très flattée.

Je vous en remercie encore dans ma rubrique "My readers"

Amitiés.