Sunday, January 18, 2009

Cornbread Sandwich

Have you ever heard of a Cornbread sandwich? I had never ate one in my life until recently. We had taken another motorcycle ride to Jefferson one weekend and the usual biker bar we eat at was packed out. We decided to walk up the street and try out another little shop we had seen before. I believe the name of the cafe is called 'The Pie Shop'. Their claim to fame is the original Cornbread Sandwich. We stepped in to try it out. Basically, a cornbread sandwich is a large square of cornbread, cut in half , mayo on both sides, your choice of meat,cheese, tomato slices and red onion. Served with chips. We chose a sandwich called 'The Redneck'. It was very tasty! I was a little apprehensive about trying it, but we were starving that day!

Of course I cannot eat something new without having to go home and experiment with my own version.

So last night. I made a pan of cornbread, added shredded cheese, and chopped jalapenos, baked to a crispy brown and cut into four pieces. I used dental floss to slice the cornbread into. Spread on some mayo , fried some bologna for the sandwiches and added some sliced cheese.


Here is my version of a Redneck Sandwich! I know it sounds strange and if you are not from the south. It may sound terrible! I am from the south and I had second thoughts about it myself! This is a pretty good sandwich! I cannot eat an entire one, They make large sandwiches. I cut them in half to a more manageable size. Try one out, if you dare! It might just become one of your favorites.



Have a Happy Sunday!

Hugs,

Lorri



9 comments:

vintage girl at heart said...

YUM!!! Never heard of it and I am a southern girl who loves her bread!!! I canot wait to try this out, my grown daughter will be excited about this recipe!!Thanks for sharing!!

2 Dogs said...

I'm from the south but have never heard of a cornbread sandwih but I love, love, love my cornbread.

^..^Corgidogmama said...

This sounds delish to me, but we grew up on fried bolongi sandwiches, not in the South, but in Michigan!

artis1111 said...

I was born in Ky so a goodold bologna sandwitch is perfect for me. Kathy

JudyBug said...

This Southern girl loves cornbread! Why did I have to start Weight Watchers this month and then see this sandwich!

I have a recipe for a cornbread salad that is yummy but nothing beats cornbread and milk. :)

The Muse said...

We (husband and i) would be thrilled to have you visit any time!...and by all means if we don't visit often enough just give us a shout! LOL

Anonymous said...

I'm not from the South but I do love me cornbread....actually, I love bread in general,
but I can seriously eat a whole pan of cornbread myself- just ask my roommates, lol

PawsAGoGo said...

I ate there this week for the first time - try the Pastrami and Provolone cheese... TO DIE FOR!!!

bevs said...

My sister-in-law told me about the place in Jefferson they eat there on some of their visits. I plan on eating there when we visit in a couple of weeks.